Monday, January 7, 2013

Background Blur with Christmas Lights


I had this idea for a while but only had the opportunity to do this at the weekend at a group shoot.  I hung Christmas lights on the wall of the studio we were shooting at the beginning of the shoot.  Whenever someone has two minutes free, I had them model for me.

The setup was very simple; I had people stand about 1.5 meter away from the background lights.  I lit them with a 160 LED panel light fitted with a pink filter on a light stand just above head height.  Due to the pink filter, I created a custom white balance for this scene.  I had to turn the power up to maximum and turn off as much ambient lighting as possible and shot with my Olympus E-PM2 with 45mm F1.8 lens at F1.8.

To maximise background blur, I got as close as possible to the subject and fired away.  The shutter speed was quite low for the 45mm lens, but the in built image stablisation of the camera did help.  If I were to do this again, I will use a tripod for the camera and build a fixture to arrange the background lights in a predetermined pattern.

Here are a few of the images I got with this set up.

Colin

Crystal

Tim

Model: Krystal Johns, Makeup Crystal Edwards

Model: Eloise Turner, Makeup, Hair & Styling: Jean Fernand

Model: Jade Nunn, Makeup Crystal Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment